Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Truth, justice and my batting average...

"Never confuse the law with justice."
James R. Brown esq.

I’ve recently been a casual observer at a court proceeding and in conjunction with a prior court experience I was intimately involved in; I’ve learned that Wikipedia is not the only place a lie repeated over and over again, somehow becomes the truth.

When I was a kid, Saturday nights in our home meant watching "Perry Mason" on television, or perhaps I should say, it meant waking up on the floor in front of the TV as the show ended. You know the infamous stack of three law books. (Thank goodness for nighttime re-runs on KBYU so I can finally get the answers to all of those; "Who did it?" questions still weighing heavily on my mind nearly 45 years after the fact.) But, whether it was on TV, or in Erle Stanly Gardner’s books, both Lt. Tragg and District Attorney Burger’s ultimate goal was to get the truth. (Admittedly Tragg was usually easier for Mason to persuade.)

But I digress, the job of the state, was then, and still is to enforce the law. However, it seems to me that back then, the job or goal of the state was also truth and justice.

Will someone please tell me when the Prosecutor’s "Batting Average" or for that matter, any attorney’s "Batting Average" became more important than the truth?

Oh, and while you’re at it, is perjury still enforced or like adultery and fornication to the far right, is perjury just kept on the books to make some of us feel warm and fuzzy?

"Wikipedia is the only place that a lie repeated 10 times, becomes the truth."
Kimberly A. Hinckley
March 5, 2007

No comments: