Thursday, January 28, 2010

You Deserve a Break Today...

This past week has offered an overwhelming bounty, no, a veritable cornucopia of material and stories for a column like mine. From a pizza delivery driver in Sandy "allegedly" attempting to bribe a police officer with pizza, (I didn’t know pizza came in donut flavors) to the Mayor of Stockton taking nepotism to new heights when he fired an officer for writing his son a ticket. And, my personal favorite, rapping your order at McDonalds.
The McDonalds incident alone provides 2-3 weeks worth of material; there’s racism, (several different degrees of racism) not to mention the always popular, "people with too much time on their hands" and, what I’ve chosen to address…
Hmm, I haven’t come up with a clever name for the particular human sub-species I’m thinking of, think of him this way, remember the guy or girl in second grade who on Friday afternoon at 2:19 (the bell at my school rang at 2:20) would raise their hand and loudly pronounce, "Miss Jensen, you forgot to give us our homework."
In one man’s opinion, that’s who the McDonalds employee who called the police last week is. As I’m writing this McDonalds has released a statement saying that the, "employee felt threatened".
Four teenagers were being teenagers and rapped their order. My sympathy was decreased when I learned one of them dropped an "F" bomb, however, they left when they were asked to leave and as far as I know, did not do any property damage. I think if there had been property damage the charges would most certainly be, "Felony Rapping or Aggravated Hip Hop".
If there is any common sense left in the world, the city attorney will ask the courts to dismiss the citations, if madness and idiocy reign in early 21st century America, then I guess normal teenaged pranks will soon be upgraded from misdemeanors to felonies.
Has the statute of limitations run on my teenage years?

No comments: