Sunday, January 17, 2010

Zac Efron is Still 17

I saw "Me and Orson Welles" at the Broadway this afternoon. While I don’t totally agree with Rolling Stone’s opinion of Zac Efron’s acting abilities, it was a good movie and I’d see it again.

The film was shot in New York, London and The Isle of Man. The locations, costuming and production values were superb. I thought it was well written and a superb example of a look backstage. It would probably work quite well as a stage play.

My only problem with the film was trying to decide who was portraying the lead character. Was Troy Bolton the lead or Zac Efron?

The gestures, speech patterns and expressions were all Troy Bolton. Maybe Troy Bolton and Zac Efron are the same person. Has anyone ever seen Troy Bolton and Zac Efron together?

I can honestly say that Efron did a superior job as Link Larkin in "Hairspray". He wasn’t Zac Efron playing himself as a character named Link Larkin, he was an actor who developed a character.

After Efron backed out of Kenny Ortega’s production of "Footloose" last Summer, an acquaintance commented that he probably didn’t want to be typecast and wanted to stretch his acting abilities. I immediately retorted, "Oh, a project like,"Seventeen Again"?"

The problem with "Me and Orson Welles" is that Zac/Troy/Richard is "Seventeen Again", or is that still 17?

Before I agree with "Rolling Stone’s" pronouncement that "Me and Orson Welles" proves Zac Efron can act, I’d like to see Mr. Efron portray a character who isn’t 17 and doesn’t sing, dance or play basketball.

No comments: